Theangina is a ENT pathology common and frequent. According to Health Insurance, each year, 9 million tonsillitis are diagnosed. They can be either viral or bacterial.
What is red sore throat?
“Thered sore throat is inflammation of tonsils of infectious origin, says Dr. Morel, ORL. It is most often viral, but it can be bacterial, and in particular with streptococcus. »If in doubt, a Strepto-test is done in the doctor’s office, but it’s very rare because red sore throat is rarely bacterial.
“Red angina can be confused with pharyngitis, warns the doctor. In this case, the tonsils are red but also the throat. “
Strepto-test: how does it work?
The Strepto-test is a rapid diagnostic test performed in the doctor’s office.
“The doctor puts a swab on the tonsil to take a sample,” says Dr. Morel. Then he puts this stick in contact with the reactive product before obtaining the result in less than 5 minutes. Just enough time to continue the consultation, in fact! The effectiveness of this test is estimated at 90% according to Health Insurance.
Angina red: what are the symptoms?
Angina results in a sore throat accompanied by different signs:
- A feeling of feverishness.
- Difficulty swallowing, even saliva sometimes.
- Very red and swollen tonsils.
“Some symptoms are signs of severity and should prompt prompt consultation, specifies the specialist. It is :
- No longer able to eat or drink.
- Being embarrassed to breathe.
- Have a high fever.
- Have a swollen neck.
Sore throat: lozenges or spray, which to choose?
Red or white angina: what difference?
” Whether red or white gives no information on its severity, specifies the ORL. White sore throat is characterized by a inflammation of the tonsils, but also by exudate, white traces partially or completely covering the tonsils. This exudate may be due to an alteration of the mucous membranes, a particular inflammation. “
Is red sore throat contagious?
Any virus or bacteria that can be transmitted, precautions must be taken:
- Wash one’s hands regularly with soap and water or hydroalcoholic gel.
- Blow your nose in a disposable handkerchief and throw it systematically in a trash can.
- Cough in his elbow.
- Limit contact with fragile people : infants, pregnant women, the elderly, immuno-depressed people, etc.
- Do not share cutlery, glass.
- Put your toothbrush aside.
- Avoid kissing.
“Red sore throat is treated with painkillers based on paracetamol, explains the ORL. If necessary, we can also use level 2 analgesics, based on codeine. On the other hand, it is strongly not recommended to take anti-inflammatory in self-medication. “
The anti-inflammatory increase the risk ofthroat abscess, according to a 2017 study by the Observatory of General Medicine, with 3 times more abscesses. This increase may be due to an altered immunity.
“In the case of a red strep throat, antibiotics based on amoxicillin are prescribed over a period of 6 days, specifies Dr. Morel. And if it is not a streptococcus, the prescription of an antibiotic depends on the severity of the angina. “
Uncomplicated, red sore throat heals within a week.
When do antibiotics start working?
Homeopathic treatment of red sore throat
- If the throat and the language are Scarlet, that angina appeared suddenly, with a high fever, a feeling of thirst and ear pain : Belladonna 4 to 5 CH, 3 granules every hour.
- If you feel a feeling of splinter stuck in the back of the throat : Apis Mellifica 4 to 5 CH, 3 granules every hour.
- If the fever is lowpain in the throat reminiscent of burn : Ferrum Phosphoricum 4 to 5 CH, 3 granules every hour.
- Without improvement within 48 hours, consult a doctor.
- The Calendula mother tincture is a good antiseptic and anti-inflammatory. It soothes sore throats.
Treat red sore throat with phytotherapy
- Se gargle throat several times a day with a sage infusion or just drink the tea. The latter has antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties. Infuse 10 min covered 1.5 g of sage leaves. Filter.
- Se gargle throat with a thyme infusion which is a good anti-bacterial and an immunity booster. Infuse 2 branches of thyme 10 min covered in 200 ml of water. Filter. Gargle 2 to 3 times a day.
Without improvement within 48 hours, consult a doctor.
To find out more, visit ENT France